Tuesday 14 April 2009

Post Easter Weekend thoughts……

Photo0312

Hope it was a good long weekend for you. I had a nice chilled out one in Devon, sunny all weekend and as we took Leanne’s car I spent most of it drunk. Ahhhh, joy.

I caught all of our 18 seconds of highlights on MOTD on Saturday night, why do those cockhounds insist on putting us on at the end of their programme I don’t know. Pretty certain Villa were on earlier when they were in 4th.

Overall I thought we looked good. Common consensus was that Gibbs was lucky not to go on half time to taking his man out. While I agree that he should have gone, I’m not entirely sure that he man got ahead of him by legal means anyway, looked very 6 of one, half dozen of the other to me. But there you go.

We punished Wigan for sloppiness with our first and third goals, Silvestre contributing for the second by putting Cesc’s good pass away, but goal of the game had to be Song’s effort at the death for the 4th. Speaking to the old man I compared it to a “Batistuta” type of goal, using strength to hold off his man before drilling in a well placed shot. Yes, I’m still talking about Alex “Renaissance Man” Song here! The lad deserves it for really upping his game recently, long may it continue.

Only real negative was the injury to Djourou. No news yet on how severe it is, but lets hope he makes a return in this utterly vital week of the season with the CL quarter final second leg and the FA Cup semi final.

So, Villarreal tomorrow night. This has the potential to be high scoring. We were lucky not to be out of the tie by half time at El Madrigal. Potentially we’ll only have Kolo as our only first choice Centre Back, so we wont be too convincing at the back I’d think. The Yellow Submarines lost again at the weekend, 2-0 home to lowly Malaga. Crucially for us, first leg goalscorer Marcos Senna is definitely ruled out of the game with a hamstring injury while Cani and Mati Fernandez are also concerns for our visitors. Nice to see its not only us losing players at this vital stage (although a few injuries to Drogba, Essien et al would help ahead of the weekend. Note to self: Learn Voodoo)

More on Villarreal tomorrow, I’m probably meant to be doing some work

Bye bye me luvvvveerrrrrrr!

No comments:

Post a Comment