Monday 6 April 2009

Two good

 

gun__1239006920_mancity04042009_11

So a sunny Saturday in N5 saw many a beer consumed and, more importantly, 3 points for the Arsenal.

Citeh never really turned up as we dominated from beginning to end (despite what the MOTD highlights may have suggested). They were poor, if they play like that every time they go away it’s not hard to see why they’ve experienced little joy on their travels.

Ade put us one up after ten minutes with a well placed header from a Fabregas cross. The same pair combined on 59 minutes, Cesc’s sublime ball over the top of the Citeh defence saw Ade latch onto it, round Given and roll it into the open net.

Ade had a good return from injury, Citeh provided the perfect opposition for him as he was given time on the ball. Saying that, he worked hard as well and I can’t really remember his strolling offside or not tracking back hard enough. Well played.

He was a midfield colossus, won every ball he went in for and made a few good passes, including a deft back heel. Yes, while it was good to see Cesc play 65 odd minutes in his return, I was actually referring to Alex Song. Yes, you read that right.

In the past few weeks Song has been a revelation. His work rate has risen, his passes are hitting the target and he’s an animal in the tackle. The metamorphosis is frankly staggering from the useless lump we had to endure at the turn of the year into a legitimate midfield anchor, merciless and grafting hard, a pitbull! So, has the penny dropped or has the standard of opposition been more to his level? I guess with the run of games we’re about to embark on we’ll find out if it’s the latter shortly.

Post-game Wenger revealed that Theo took a knock to his knee and was a slight doubt for Villarreal away on Tuesday night. To be honest I’m not surprised, the lad took about 5 “tackles” from behind as Citeh systematically took him out. To be honest, that was probably the most productive thing Robinho did all afternoon, looked as if the long flight back from South America was taking its toll. There’s also hopes for RVP returning tomorrow night as well as Nasri providing he’s over his flu (poor little mite), however Diaby and Eduardo will be short and won’t feature. More on Villarreal tomorrow.

Yesterday Villa lost 3-2 to Man United, leaving us 6 points clear of them in 4th and starting to look comfortable, however the next 20 odd days will be vital, some big, big games coming up for us!

One final thing, well played Cesc for blowing Barcelona’s favourite method of signing a player; the Spanish Media, out of the water in the matchday programme:

“Once more, there have been stories in the media recently talking about my future, I’m very happy at Arsenal and have said it many times – but I cannot control what the newspapers say or stop the press.

When they speak for me, I don’t understand it because only my friends, family and the boss know what I think.

It’s just a story that will go on and on, even if I was to say I would stay and retire here!

I’ve said many times I’m proud to be captain of this club and I see my future with Arsenal.”

And on that note, good day!

Technorati Tags: ,,,,

No comments:

Post a Comment