Tuesday 10 February 2009

Goalrush and the two Emmanuels

Morning all

Obviously I’m not referring to Sundays 0-0 in the North London Derby here, I’ll get onto that in a bit. Instead I’m talking about my 2 hockey matches that prevented me from watching the football, which thankfully we won (my god I’d have been annoyed if we’d lost and I’d missed the football for it!!!)

Our first game against University of Portsmouth was a potential bananaskin, while not the most skilled of sides they were organised and tenacious, something that usually makes us come acropper, so we were pretty happy with a 9-0 win! On a personal note my night of many beers with Leanne’s aunt, uncle and brother meant that the first half was a write off for me while I tried to muster some energy, in fact I benched myself for a few shifts (the power of assistant coach!) as I was just coasting most shifts. However once I got into the game I got a brace, controlling one with my feet before sliding it under the keeper and the other a one-timer from the top of the crease. However the first period confirmed what I already knew, I really need to limit myself to a few beers the night before a game as I don’t do myself or my team mates justice.

Second game was a demolition job from beginning to end as we game the Bristol Falcons a 15-0 thrashing, helped by the fact their keeper had never skated before in his life, let alone played in goal! Their team was mostly ice players so were pretty good, but we worked hard defensively to shut them down and Sam recorded her second shut out of the day while I bagged a hat-trick, the first a slapshot from right wing, the second a snapper from the left and the third a onetimer from high slot, so smiles all round and a 5 goal weekend for me!

So, onto the football, and looking at the result, given the fact that we were down to ten men for just under an hour I guess its a good battling point, however in the long term and with eyes on the top four we really needed a win. However, after a bright start where we had a goal disallowed (it was one of those where if you score it its a harsh decision but if you’re the one on the receiving end you’d feel aggrieved if the goal was given) our chances were significantly limited by 2 events:

1: Emmanuel Adebayor pulls up with a hamstring injury and it stretchered off. Now, he’s not having the greatest of seasons but Ade has a wonderful knack of scoring against the scum. He was replaced by Bendtner (Eduardo, on the bench for the first time in a year wasn’t seen as ready by Wenger I guess)

2: Emmanuel Eboue stupidly gets himself sent off after picking up his second yellow of the match. His first was for dissent after being told by the referee THREE TIMES to walk away, and the second was for kicking out at Luca Modric after being fouled. For all the good he did in the opening stanza, and he did actually play well, all be it a bit headless at times, it was typically undone by the side of Eboue that Arsenal fans know and loathe. Even his faked apology to Modric was pathetically overacted. Arsene, your lovechild has to go!! As a footballer he is crap and offers little more than as cover to Sagna, who is practically indestructible, and the way he conducts himself is a disgrace and frankly embarrassing!

Eboue went and realistically so did our hopes of 3 points. The team defended well however Spuds never really came at us, Gallas and Sagna both performing well in defence and Almunia making vital saves when required. Both sides had chances to nick it at the death, Song shot wide from close in as did Bendtner while Modric was denied by Almunia and the game finished 0-0, a result that doesn’t really help either side.

Next up is Cardiff on the 16th in the cup replay, team news is obviously the 2 Emmanuels are missing through injury and suspension, while Arshavin is ineligible as he wasn’t registered for the original game at Ninian Park. Diaby may return, Eduardo should feature providing he doesn’t get injured on international duty tomorrow night while Rosicky, who is now kicking a ball again, and Walcott are probably around 6 and 3 weeks away respectively.

I should probably do some work.

Oh, one more thing. How the hell did the Leafs beat the Habs 5-2? Luke Schenn, that's how!

No comments:

Post a Comment